Nothing says summer like grilling burgers! Juicy, cheesey and flavorful! This is a mini tutorial on how to make the Best Burgers Ever!
A couple of key points! 1) Buy freshly ground meat from the butchers counter-needs to be 80/20, anything leaner is too dry. You want beef that has been processed as little as possible and that is loosely packed. Anything in a tube in too tight. The extra effort is totally worth it! 2) Minimal handling when mixing at home! 3) Indentation. Make a thumb print in the middle of each patty. This helps cook it evenly. 4) DO NOT press down with spatula! This makes the juices flow out (bad) and compresses the meat (bad).
These are truly the best burgers that I have made. As with seasoning any dish, you can use any spice blend that sounds good. Same with burgers, your imagination is the limit. Play with the toppings, buns, condiments and cheeses. Some ideas to try are:
- Cheddar, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion. Basic Condiments
- Blue Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion & Whole Grain Mustard
- Swiss and Caramelized Onions, Dijon Mustard
- Pepper Jack with Caramelized Onion and Green Peppers, Mustard
- Jack Cheese, Fresh Pineapple & Teriyaki Sauce
- Smoked Gouda, Caramelized Onions & BBQ Sauce
- Brie, Roasted Red Bell Pepper & Fig Jam
- Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato & Pesto
- Queso Cheese & Salsa
Mix and match the toppings too! Some fun thoughts:
Roasted Red Bell Pepper
Over Easy Egg
Also play with the condiments:
Sweet & Sour Sauce
Any iced cold beer works with this dish!
Wine & Spice Makes Everything Nice!