Halloween Potato Soup!
- Mirepoix base, equal amounts of diced onion, carrots, and celery. we used one small yellow onion, 4 carrots, and 5 celery stalks
- about 8 medium/large potatoes peeled and diced, we used russet potatoes but yukon gold would’ve also been delicious
- About 64 oz (8 cups) of veggie broth, although you could use chicken broth instead
- 1.5 cups milk, we used whole milk to make it extra creamy, but any kind would work
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 TBS MSC Kenny's East Texas Cajun seasoning
- 1 TSP MSC Farmers Market Veggie Soup
- 3 TBS salted butter
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced green onions
- Bacon bits
Dice onion, carrot, and celery. Add butter and mirepoix to a large pot and sauté for a few minutes, until veggies start to soften. Add the diced potatoes and spice mixes and stir to combine. Also season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5/6 minutes.
Add the broth, and allow to boil for approximately 12 minutes or until the potatoes begin to soften to fork tender.
In a separate bowl, combine the milk and flour, with additional salt and pepper as you see necessary. Once potatoes are tender, add milk mixture to the soup and allow to cook for a few minutes to cook off the flour taste.
After a few minutes, separate soup in half. Blend one half of the soup. We used an immersion blender, but a regular blender would also work. You could blend more than half of the soup for a smoother soup, but we prefer chunkier soup. Re-combine the soup and bring back to a simmer.
Add the heavy cream, stir to combine.
Serve, and top with the toppings of your choice!